Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy Patriots Day!


Today is Patriots Day, and the annual running of the Boston Marathon. It was a year ago today that I promised myself that I would complete a 5K...and beyond! And here I am, two weeks away from my first half-marathon!

On Saturday the 12th I ran in the training 15K up in Indianapolis. Despite having gorgeous spring weather for the last two weeks, that particular day was windy and freezing cold.

I ran six and a half miles before deciding that I really didn't care enough about running the entire way to keep pushing myself. It was miserable. So I walked, and forgave myself. I walked a little over a mile, and then I ran to the end. So I figure I ran about 8 of the 9.3 miles.


Chuck cheered me on at the finish line. I finished in 2:02:22. Here I am, holding all of my loot - potato chips, a Panera bagel, banana, cookies - good stuff!

So I am going to do one more "long run" on Wednesday to prepare, but next week back off a little bit to rest up before the race. I am determined to run the entire half-marathon!

If anyone has any good suggestions for my iPod playlist, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to be running for almost three hours, so I need a little variety! I can only play the Rocky song so many times. :) My dad was nice enough to purchase a song on iTunes for me (hee hee, thanks Dad!) and I have my mostly-cheesy training tunes, but send me your ideas for some snappy music!

1 comment:

wally said...

My ape says: WAY TO GO! Her iPod list is really too horrifying to share but she does listen to ABBA Waterloo and sing "WALLYLOO!" when she is feeling sluggish.

wally.