Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Obama news, good and bad

Barack Obama is coming to IU! Tomorrow! After work!!


I never finished the story about Obama's FIRST visit to Bloomington. After my big day in Columbus at the Obama town hall event, I drove up to Indianapolis because Chuck and were going to the ISO, and my 15K was the next morning. I got a voicemail from my friend Pam, saying "Drop everything and get over to Nick's RIGHT NOW!". [Nick's is the local bar/hangout on Kirkwood Ave.] But I was already halfway to Indy. It turns out that Obama came to the women's portion of the Little 500 race, made famous by the movie Breaking Away, and then wandered down Kirkwood to Nick's to shake hands!


The lady in the picture with the white hair is Pam. She got to shake Obama's hand, though she had already met him several times.


Here's some of the local coverage:

Barack Obama waded into Bill Armstrong Stadium on Friday and was greeted by a colorful array of spandex and a raucous student body. The race announcer credited him with bringing the good weather.

Friday's race was the women's contest - 32 teams in a 100-lap relay race around the stadium's quarter-mile track. This was THE sporting event in town. Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan, celebrating his birthday, was there. Local bars carried the race on television. And, of course, Obama and his entourage caused their own commotion.
...
A few minutes later, in downtown Bloomington, he drew a crowd of hundreds to the street as he made his way through Nick's English Hut, a popular and cavernous beer and hamburger pub. The race continued on television screens.
So what's the bad news?


Some **jerk** keyed my car this morning, and the one next to it. Both cars just happened to have Obama stickers. We were parked on the circle not ten feet away from the School of Music building - they vandalized the cars in broad daylight. Besides this scratch, there is one all along the right side of my car. How sad. Sometimes I really hate living in Indiana. I know this probably could have happened anywhere, but there are a lot of idiots out here.

Just a week left. I'm happy the craziness will end soon. Hopefully I won't get any more battle scars.

No comments: