Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Off to a running start

So Monday was the running of the Boston Marathon. As you may know, my dad has run the Boston Marathon course very recently, besides running a marathon when he was about my age, I believe. Last summer I began my quest to become a runner; or rather, someone who was capable of jogging more than 100 yards without stopping to walk. My goal was to run a 5K but I was unable to complete the one in October without stopping to walk once. So now that it is spring, I have started my quest again - and Monday's Boston Marathon was my symbolic, psychological start. I am going to be one of the people running, not the guy watching with the Dunkin' Donuts coffee!

My first goal will be to complete a 5K - NO WALKING. I've decided to update my progress on the blog so I am accountable to more than my tired legs - everyone can share in my training misery and successes. I have announced it to the world, so now I have to do it!

My boss (a tri-athlete and marathon runner) has been encouraging my running since last year, and giving Chuck tips with his running. He asked on Monday if I had heard that the half-marathon in Bloomington date had been announced (the half-marathon that Chuck ran last year), and I said I had - Sept. 8th. "Are you going to run it this year?" he asked.

"Oh, I think I'm going to try!" I said foolishly, thinking in my head that it would be a good achievable goal. If Chuck can do it, why can't I? "I've got new shoes and I've already started jogging with the dog!" I went jogging that evening and regretted my optimism. I'm going to start with the 5K and see what happens from there. :)

Tuesday evening I ran in the woods by Griffy Lake (our favorite trails) with Lenny. We ran about 2 miles, with several stops to walk. He is doing great - he runs behind me, but he doesn't put on the brakes randomly anymore, and I don't have to tug on his leash to get him to run rather than walk. That helps me a lot. I also have my cool Nike gear thanks to my mom, my iPod with cheesy workout music, and I'm tracking my progress on nikerunning.com. 5K here I come!

No comments: