Monday, October 09, 2006

Getting ready for Halloween

I'm back - it's Kelley again. Just wanted to report on our big weekend. Lenny is currently grounded for bad behavior, so no blogging for him.

Chuck made his professional debut on Saturday night with the Columbus Indiana Philharmonic. He conducted the Overture to "La Gazza Ladra" by Rossini. He'll post his video soon on Youtube and his website. Also, the concert will get a review in Thursday's paper, so I'll keep everyone updated on that. It was a big success for him and I was very proud!

I've been practicing with my Daphnis group for flute class next week. On Friday, I got switched from alto flute to piccolo, so I've had to practice quite a bit to get everything under my fingers!

Saturday morning Chuck and I ran in the "Hoosiers Outrun Cancer" 5K road race. My goal was to run the entire way without stopping to walk - about 3.1 miles. A few days before, I had run 3.3 miles on the treadmill, so I felt pretty confident I could do it. I was running "In Celebration Of" two survivors - my mom and Christel. After the first mile uphill, I gave out. I had to walk. I was really disappointed and kind of mad at myself that I wasn't tough enough. I also felt like I let Mom and Christel down! I did run the rest of the way after about 1/3 or 1/2 mile of walking. I ended up beating my time on the 5K from last year by about 10 seconds (which is a little bit frustrating because I walked MUCH more last year). The finish line was in the football stadium, and Chuck (who finished in about 26 minutes!) saw me on the Jumbotron.

Sunday was fun - I went to Amanda's house to carve Halloween pumpkins with her, Aaron, and Ebelia, her roommate! I got all Martha Stewart-y and decided to do something fabulous on my pumpkin. I had a very intricate pattern that I outlined on my pumpkin featuring a skeleton (the pattern was called "Mr. Ribs") and I didn't have time to finish it at Amanda's, so I brought it home and started carving a little bit.

Chuck and I decided to go out for about 15 minutes to the grocery store.

"Do you think we can leave the pumpkin inside?"
-KELLEY THE FOOLISH
(Kelley and Chuck look at Lenny, snoring in his crate.)
"It will be fine!" -CHUCK THE UNWISE

We came home to find a big hole and toothmarks in the pumpkin. Good-bye, Mr. Ribs!

Lenny got to meet Jama while we were at Amanda's house. Here is her little bed I made for her out of Ohio State fabric!

My parents and a lot of the Russell clan went to Washington this weekend to cheer on my cousin Scott, who plays football for Washington & Lee University. They won, 28-0, over Catholic University. I wish I could have been there with everyone, but I am starting to get excited about Thanksgiving at the Russells' this year. Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays.

Congratulations again to Amanda and Aaron, who were very recently engaged. Here's a picture of the happy couple! I just found out that my friend Mary Ann had a baby, so congratulations to her as well! And last but not least, happy birthday to Lenny's buddy Butchy, who just turned 6. (I wish I could get Lenny to wear a party hat!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Lenny,
Did the pumpkin taste good?? tee hee tee hee! Our Mama has had an uncarved small pumpkin sitting in the house since last Halloween and it's still good, no mold, nothing. It's not dried out either. She can't figure out how come it's still good, a mystery!
Wirey Hugs!
Butchy & Snickers