Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lenny's log

Lenny here. Now that I've taken over blogging for a while, I'd like to reach out to our new readers and give some background info on our family. As most of you know, I'm an 8-year-old wire haired fox terrier. For the first five years of my life, I lived as "Skippy" with an older couple. They acquired two grandchildren full-time, so I was assigned to the laundry room all day long. The old lady decided to find me some new roommates. Kelley and Chuck had been looking for a WFT, so they came to meet me and I went bonkers jumping up and down. (Chuck thought that meant I would be a good "frisbee" dog - ha!) They brought me home for a weekend and decided they liked me, so I got to stay with them.

They're pretty good roommates. I mean, they could always give me more treats - they actually make me DO something to get a cookie. Lately that's been "Speak." I don't know why they think that's so great - they used to tell me NOT to bark! Chuck actually never used to give me treats, but I think I've proven that I can do pretty cool stuff when properly bribed.

Chuck is an orchestra conductor. Once I got to go to one of his rehearsals and it was really loud, but a lot of nice girls came and patted me during the break. We had to move here to Indiana because he goes to school at Indiana University, getting his masters degree in instrumental conducting. We came here from New Hampshire, which was nicer - we used to go hiking in the mountains a lot. However, there is a dog park here in our town, which is GREAT! Chuck acts like a tough disciplinarian guy with me, but when Kelley's not around, he gives me cookies and lets me take a nap with him in their bed. Also, he likes to study outside, so he always brings me to go sit in the sunshine.

The biggest problem with Indiana is that it makes me really itchy. Apparently I'm allergic to everything outside here. I had a few problems in New Hampshire, but once we moved here it got really bad. I have to have shots, and I get a bath twice a week, which is the WORST!

Also, I tore my ACL here at doggie daycare and I had to have surgery for it. I couldn't walk normally for about 4-5 months, and I am just now able to run well again, but a little lopsided. I'm not as fast as I used to be at the dog park, but I can still keep up pretty well. The surgery was really when the treats started happening - I'm still milking that! I start limping a little bit every now and then, and I get sympathy cookies from Kelley.

Kelley is a flutist, but works as a secretary for the IU Jacobs School of Music to pay the bills while Chuck is in school. Every now and then she practices at home, and I sing along, but only if Chuck's not home. I don't want any critiquing. :) She also likes watching Project Runway (she likes to sew) and Ohio State football.

When I had all of my allergy problems, Kelley went online to meet other fox terrier people who may have had similar issues, and she met all sorts of wonderful fox terrier families. That's how we got to know so many dogs with blogs!

So for all of you who are new to Link to the Latshaws, that's who we are. For all you who know us already, don't you love us? Hee hee!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lenny,
Guess what? Mama used to play in orchestras starting at age 11. She played the cello for years and even went to college for it. But her icky Fibromyalgia stuff kicked in and she had to give up playing instruments. She started playing organ at age 5, then piano, cello and she knows how to play a whole bunch of other things. Mama likes lots of classical music songs that orchestras play. Too bad you have allergies. So far Snickers & I don't have any. Hope we don't get any as we grow older.
Wirey Hugs!
Butchy & Snickers