Monday, February 06, 2006

Prediction and dilemma

Well, I have to amend my previous prediction about Project Runway. Daniel V. is going to make it to the top three, replacing either Santino or Nick in my prediction (probably Nick). It's down to five designers, and Daniel has immunity this week! So we'll see.

I have looked everywhere in town, and NOBODY has Project Runway Season 1 on DVD, either to rent or even buy! It does exist, because you can buy it from Amazon, but apparently I'm the only lonely Bloomington Project Runway fan.

Chuck had a concert with Columbus this past weekend - and we did not have to go schmooze afterward! Woo-hoo! That was a nice change. He is getting ready for his next concert, next weekend. I am playing in another conductor's ad hoc this weekend. Hopefully we will also get to see "The Barber of Seville" on Saturday evening.

Right now my great debate is whether or not to make a tape for the National Flute Association Young Artist competition. I am really hesitant to do it because it costs a lot of money to enter, and I don't have an accompanist (who I'd have to hire also), and the deadline is March 1st. Which I just realized recently, obviously. I would be up for a good challenge (though I would stress myself out) except for three things:

1) I am playing in several concerts (4) already in February, so I have plenty of "reason" and motivation to practice already.
2) I wanted to take a big step back on work on my flute BASICS (which I have already started doing this year) to improve overall. This competition would be a distraction from that, and I don't want to develop new bad habits while rushing through my "review."
3) There is a really stupid modern piece on the repertoire list that requires singing and playing simultaneously, micro-tones with many different fingerings to learn, and other special techniques. Basically they include this piece to scare people from entering. It's working!

So maybe I am just making excuses, or feeling lazy, but I can't decide what to do. And the more I hesitate, the more time goes by before the tape is due! The problem is that I already bought the sheet music, and a CD with the stupid modern piece (called "ZOOM TUBE") on it. However, if I'm not going to be able to make a decent recording in time, I don't want to dump any more money into this project. Chuck is telling me to go for it, but he doesn't have to learn the stupid micro-tonal fingerings that I will NEVER EVER use again in my life. And I do have until the age of 30 to enter this competition, which takes place every year. AND I could be using this time to work on my basics to prepare for real orchestral auditions later this spring and summer. I guess it sounds like I'm leaning one way right now. It keeps changing! :) I of course will keep you all updated on this pressing, urgent issue.

No comments: