Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halloween Costume Contest

You might remember last year's Jacobs staff costume contest, where our office challenged the other staff to a contest because many people were dressing up for fun anyway. The tradition has stuck, and it's gotten even bigger this year. It's a lot more fun and more effective, I think, than our team-building event was several weeks ago.

Everyone does get very competitive, though, and won't reveal to any other office what their theme will be beforehand.


This year, I was on a new team, due to my new job. I teamed up with the three ladies in the other Dean's Office, Janie, Jennifer, and Bettina. Since the contest is in the lobby of the Opera hall, we decided to dress like we were going to the "Opry" - the Grand Ole Opry.


We found these lovely square-dancing dresses on eBay. There are some great bargains on those things!

My OLD team, the combined Undergrad and Grad Offices, were very clever, despite my not being there anymore. :) They came up with the idea of being a sandwich - everyone a different piece. My friend Gaye (the slice of bread on the left) had actual oatmeal on her crust! It was a healthy sandwich.


The Business Office, who stole the show last year with their chain gang outfits, dressed up as the high school wrestling team (the boss is the coach of the local team).

We had a "jazz cat" - very appropriate for the School of Music.

More feline fun - the Admissions Office ladies dressed up as the Three Little Kittens Who Lost Their Mittens.

(Good news - my friend Gaye is changing jobs and will be starting in the Admissions office next week. She'll be my "neighbor" just down the hall!)

I loved our IT department's costumes. They were the Peanuts gang. (Linus showed up a little late, after the judging.)

My boss showed up to assist with the judging.
Rumor has it (I heard this from one of her fellow theory professors) that some years ago, she dressed up as Salome, a Biblical character who does the Dance of the Seven Veils in Richard Strauss' opera. No photographic evidence of this has yet been found.


The awards worked very differently from last year, where just about everyone was awarded a certificate in a different category. (Best theme, funniest, scariest, etc.) This year, everyone got a ballot to choose their favorites in different categories. (Let me point out that this clearly gave the larger offices an unfair advantage.) This year, there were trophies and medals instead of certificates!

Our group took the trophy for "Best Halloween Theme 2007!"
Here we are accepting our award from the Dean.


The trophies were really cute and had pumpkins and witches on them.

And my old office took the grand prize for the best overall theme - they got the BIG trophy. Every year, it will be passed on to the next team who wins the best theme.

Rachel the Tomato accepted on behalf of the team.

Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Great pictures! I love all the costumes. It really seems like you work with a great bunch of people.

lovemily88 said...

these are fantastic pics! i miss you guys... give my love to the deanery. :)