Sunday, October 14, 2007

Our exciting weekend



Friday evening after work started out like any other evening. After dinner I started doing some laundry, and I noticed that Lenny was chewing on something. He managed to swallow it before I could fish it out of his mouth, but not before I realized it was one of those silica gel desiccant "DO NOT EAT" packets. Of course. What followed was not pleasant, but Lenny is feeling much better. It turns out it's not really a big deal if you eat one of those packets, but you shouldn't eat a bunch of them. And some of them have small amounts of pesticides in them - you can tell because the stuff inside turns blue when wet. Smurf blue, as we discovered. Lenny was pretty cranky during his recovery. Yuck.

And here is my victorious finish at the Jill Behrman 5K on Saturday! Well, not really. The picture didn't save to the camera phone, unfortunately. But I was victorious and ran the entire way, which was my goal. I told myself that I didn't care about my time, but I was a little embarrassed to learn that I ran just faster than 12-minute miles. My average pace is about 10 1/2 minute miles. But I took my own pace and finished successfully. It really helped running the course a few days before so I knew what to expect. It was very different running with all the other people around, and hard to keep my own pace. Next time will be faster! The next 5K race will be a Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot in Toledo! Chuck also ran the race successfully, and all of our Jacobs School of Music runners crossed the finish line. It was a lot of fun. And congratulations to Jen and Alex for running a 10K this weekend! Wow!

Today I'm going to get my eyes checked for glaucoma, which I'm a little nervous about - I have to go through all of the eye dilation and a bunch of tests. I ordered a new pair of glasses, which hopefully will arrive soon because my old ones are getting progessively more blurry. I had a very hard time watching football this weekend because I couldn't read the score or the names of the teams - I had to guess from their uniforms. It doesn't help that our TV is slightly on the fritz as well. I did discover kind of a bizarre method for improving my vision. If I close or cover my right eye (Chuck's pirate eye-patch comes in handy!) and wear my glasses upside down, I can see more clearly. Too bad I can't go out in public like that. :)

And congratulations Ohio State Buckeyes - ranked #1 in the BCS standings!!!!

Only 250 days until my sister's wedding - check out her wedding website! I am very excited because on Thursday I am flying out to see her and the rest of my family and go gown shopping! The place where she was getting married was where some of the movie "Meet Joe Black" was filmed, so Chuck and I rented the movie Saturday, despite warnings from my parents that it was bad. Not just bad - terrible. And 3 hours long! And you couldn't really tell much about the building from the screen. Two thumbs down!

No comments: